Ron Howard will be the new director for the Han Solo spinoff movie.
Last week, Lucasfilm revealed that Phil Lord and Christopher Miller would no longer be directing the Han Solo movie. They left the following statement:
The untitled Han Solo film will move forward with a directorial change.
“Phil Lord and Christopher Miller are talented filmmakers who have assembled an incredible cast and crew, but it’s become clear that we had different creative visions on this film, and we’ve decided to part ways. A new director will be announced soon,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm.
“Unfortunately, our vision and process weren’t aligned with our partners on this project. We normally aren’t fans of the phrase ‘creative differences’ but for once this cliché is true. We are really proud of the amazing and world-class work of our cast and crew,” stated Phil Lord and Christopher Miller.
The untitled Han Solo film remains scheduled for a May 2018 release.
Lord and Miller are known for directing The LEGO Movie, 21 and 22 Jump Street, and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. Now, Ron Howard will take over as director.
The next day, THR reported that Ron Howard would take over as director. In the report, they stated that Howard would meet with the actors to “soothe a rattled set” and that he would go through a rough edit to see what the project needs. Lord and Miller had already been shooting for four and a half months. Howard has three and a half weeks of shooting scheduled and five weeks of reshoots built into the schedule.
Lucasfilm released the following statement:
Lucasfilm is pleased to announce that Academy Award-winning filmmaker Ron Howard has been named director of the untitled Han Solo film.
“At Lucasfilm, we believe the highest goal of each film is to delight, carrying forward the spirit of the saga that George Lucas began forty years ago,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. “With that in mind, we’re thrilled to announce that Ron Howard will step in to direct the untitled Han Solo film. We have a wonderful script, an incredible cast and crew, and the absolute commitment to make a great movie. Filming will resume the 10th of July.”
Howard has made some of the biggest hits and most critically-acclaimed movies of the modern era. Among his many films are Lucasfilm’s Willow, Apollo 13, A Beautiful Mind (winner of four Academy Awards, including Best Picture and Best Director), The Da Vinci Code, Frost/Nixon, and Rush. He also narrated and produced the beloved comedy series Arrested Development, starred in George Lucas’ American Graffiti, and remains a TV icon for his roles in The Andy Griffith Show and Happy Days.
The untitled Han Solo film is slated for a May 25, 2018, release.
According to multiple sources the departure was due to Lord and Miller disagreeing with the screenwriter, Lawrence Kasdan. Apparently Kasdan wanted to stick to the script, while the directors wanted to venture out and try different things.
A director leaving a film is never a good thing. Lord and Miller leaving is very disappointing. However, this could be a blessing in disguise. Tom Howard has won two Best Director Oscars, for Frost/Nixon and A Beautiful Mind. He has also directed other great movies like Apollo 13 and one of my personal favorites, Cinderella Man.
Also, he has worked with Lucasfilm before on Willow. Since he was hired, he has most likely talked with the screenwriter, so disagreement shouldn’t be a problem this time around.
All in all, this news is promising to me, and I hope that the movie turns out to be great.
What do you think about the news? Would you have chosen someone else? Leave your comments below.
If you enjoyed my post, then you can follow the site on the right hand side of the screen.